Monday, June 27, 2011

oh my salsa....


I hate going to the grocery store... well let me rephrase that. I love it, but I hate that at the end of my visit I have successfully been suckered into leaving my hard earned money behind for mostly stuff that I may need... someday. Over priced, beautiful fruits and veggies and so many meal and baking ideas to be had on every shelf.

Well today, Bountiful Baskets is one of my favorite things. First off, because it keeps me from having to go to the store. Second, I don't have to go to the store! Just kidding. Second, is because they pick all my meals for me. No more grocery lists unless I run out of essentials. This way we save a little green and I'm not a total sucker at the end of the week. Done and done. Works for me, all the way around.

This passed week we purchased whats called the Mexican pack. It comes with all sorts of vegetables to make some spectacular Mexican food. This time it came with a TON of tomatillos. I had never even seen one, let alone cooked one, but let me tell you... I love me some Salsa Verde. Oh my. So my mission with these puppies was to make some kickin' salsa!

I am here to say that the venture was a success! This is a mix and match of a few concoctions I found and a little bit of guessing on my part, but there you have it. The only regret/warning I'll share is regarding spicy peppers (I don't know what kind they are, remember I didn't pick them). I enjoy a little kick to my food, however I now have spicy pepper on my fingers and under my nails... they burn and it pretty much stings to touch or itch ANYTHING! Use gloves... or be smarter than I am!

Alrighty,

Here's what you need:

10-11 fresh tomatillos
1/2 cup cilantro (leaves only)
1 sm. white onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 bell or anaheim pepper (green)
2-3 fresh limes (including as much pulp as you can get out of those suckers)
2 c. chicken broth
1 tbs. vegetable oil

Cut the tomatillos in half and place them face down on a foil covered baking sheet. Broil them on high until the skin starts to brown.

Remove them.

Next you combine everything into a blender (excluding the veggie oil and chicken broth) and you frappe until you have a nice even blend of everything.

In a sauce pan, heat up the oil until it gets to the point where you can drop a bit of the puree in and it sizzles like crazy. Once it gets to this point you dump all the puree mixture in and stir on high heat until it starts to darken and thicken.

The last addition is the broth. Once its added, you let it all simmer for about 5-10 min and then... heaven. Its pretty good. Oh! salt and pepper to taste.

Tonight, turkey tacos with cabbage and homemade salsa goodness!

Yes ma'am!



No comments:

Post a Comment